Friday, January 30, 2009

Guest Post by Art Stand artist, Sally Delap-John







Truchas Tales:  Pilar

Sally Delap-John has been writing of her painting adventures in New Mexico, where she has bought a home to also serve as studio and gallery.

To paint the church at Pilar requires parking up a little, bitty non-road and then hiking with gear farther uphill. There was supposed to be a group going. The skies looked threatening, but I didn't want to be the light-weight, so off I went. When I arrived, I missed the little road/path to the sight. Took many tries backing up to get about ten feet. I took the even smaller, steeper track up the hill, backed in and parked.   I was just getting things out when Freckles stealthily got out and disappeared over a ridge.  I called and whistled, but no sign of her.  I carried stuff up to the spot, kept looking for her, set up and started painting. I had upset a nest of very large ants, ones that you could see all of the parts of their bodies while standing. Slight adjustment in location.  Later as I was into the painting I saw her on a road below, called and whistled and she kept going.  I saw other dogs, so was just waiting for the snarling sound of a meeting.  Later, she came quietly up and I took her to the van.  It was then I saw that I was parked in part of a rock wall and cactus.  The van sliding door would not close all the way.  I tried and tried, but it wouldn't budge either forward or backward. I went back up and completed my painting - three hours total. Packed up and got out of there. I stopped at the Rio Grande, just a little way on. Tried the door again - no luck. Where the road meets the road to Taos, I got out and gave it one last heave and finally, it moved so I could close it. Did I mention I was the only one there to paint?   That night at dinner I reached down to pet her and pulled out an inch and an half cactus thorn from her side. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Sally.
    I'm enjoying your adventure stories from New Mexico, about the life with cacti in summer and lots of snow in winter, and all of the other things. It's definitely different from the California life!

    I also enjoyed your watercolor class! I always wondered how you create such beautiful paintings with amazing colors. Then I saw that you started with very dark colors. WOW! After several layers, those deep colors created rich shades. Most artists take an incredibly long time to get their own style. Study, experiment, study, experiment (repeat, repeat, and repeat...) I really appreciate that you are willing to share all of your techniques and skills of art with other artists at workshops. It inspires so many people! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete